Everyday climate of the Earth continues to change as a result of greenhouse effect and human activity or, to be more precise, different emissions from such activities.
At the present time the shipping industry is one of the largest sources of sulfur oxides pollutions, behind the energy industry all around the world. Moreover, about 70 percent of all shipping emissions take place within 250 miles of land, exposing hundreds of millions of people to harmful pollutants.
Sulfur oxides are extremely dangerous for people’s respiratory systems because they evoke breathing difficulties, especially for children, older adults, and asthma sufferers. Sulfur pollution’s impact also includes damage the lungs and heart, all this can finally end in heart attack, aggravated asthma, increased hospital admissions, and premature deaths.
Of course, governments are concerned by the issue that is why they established the air pollution control act. According to this air pollution control, by 2020 the shipping industry has to reduce sulfur oxides emissions by all possible means. Nowadays there are two ways of the problem solution:
- use of fuels that contain no more than 0.5 percent sulfur that is very significant reduction because 3.5 percent is accounted for by current limit;
- installation of air scrubbers that is the most promising way.
Air scrubbers remove particulate matter and gaseous pollutants from industrial exhaust streams. They are installed directly on the ships, where it is possible to divide toxic or corrosive compounds from exhaust gases and neutralize it. Moreover, wet air scrubbers have quite a lot of advantages for the shipping industry among other types of scrubbers:
- small space requirements that are particularly important for the installation of the scrubbers on a ship due to space limitations;
- no secondary dust sources during air scrubbing because there is no way to escape the scrubber for the collected compounds;
- lack of temperature or humidity limitations;
- minimal fire and explosion risk factors;
- collection of both particulate matter and gases.
The main advantage of wet air scrubbers is their versatility thanks to which a great variety of different applications can be used. All the mentioned advantages made wet air scrubbers the ideal solution for reducing of pollution on ships. Nevertheless, not all types of scrubbers are suited for the ship industry, because it requires a retrofitting that has a high cost for some air scrubbers. Also wet air scrubbers dispose the unwanted compounds from the exhaust gases.
Redwood technology is a fast-growing vendor of wet air scrubbers. The multi-vortex scrubber can remove gas emissions, dust, vapors, and other pollutants from a gas stream. It is an innovative technology created to save water that makes it more cost-efficient and differs from other types of scrubbers. If you have any questions or would like to purchase a multi-vortex wet air scrubber, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org